Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Why is nonsense the opposite of sense? What about unsense? Or insense? Or even incense?

Why didn't Coleridge write about a pleasure dome "where blossom'd many a nonsense bearing tree"? I'd like to grow a nonsense bearing tree. I'd grow it in my office, at my desk, I would. I'd get in some comely non-virgins to prance about, too.

Who wants virgins, anyway? What use are they? And they'd all better be prepared to show me their fish-mittens.

Kubhla Khan also had "sinuous rills" in his garden. I'd prefer to have "insidious frills" in my office-dome. The non-virgins could wear them, just covering their mittens.

And they could bring me in some monkeys' thumbs on a platter. Or indeed on a plate.

And they could peel my grapes for me, which would save me a fortune at the proctologist's.

How come sensible means rational and acting with good sense but insensible means unfeeling? Does sensible mean feeling too? So if a person is described as sensible, this means that they are having a grope?

"Be sensible, man! Get a grip on yourself!"

Myself, I prefer the term antisense. This is the true opposite of sense. Nonsense just means that there is no sense. So a blank page, which has no sense on it, is full of nonsense. This is pure antisense!

My sister the molecular biologist would have me believe that antisense is a form of nucleotide that inactivates messenger RNA. I have no idea what messenger RNA is but it sounds a little bit like DNA. DNA are the initials of the late, great and grossly over bathed Douglas Adams. He wrote a nice book that was, in a way, about a poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Which is, I think, where we came in.

Round and round, like a laviscious circle. How can one travel in ever-decreasing circles? Wouldn't that be a spiral, and not a circle at all? Circle is an overused word. For example, my social circle is not a circle at all, but it's a kind of irregular polygon, with some tangential lines.

I sense your incense at the antecedence of all this nonsense, so I'll stop now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home